Sunday, August 22, 2010

MIA

Since arriving in Singapore, the proclivity to share my life experiences has diminished significantly. Mostly likely due to the fact that I am back 'home' in familiar surroundings. The immense feelings of wonderment of discovering a foreign land is gone and although Singapore has changed dramatically since I last lived here, I feel I have succumbed to a certain degree of ennui that comes from living in opulence and comfort. Funnily, this reminds me of the story of Siddhartha Gautama who left his kingly inheritance to live a life of an ascetic in search of enlightenment. I have always empathized with his yearning.

It's 520pm here at Toast Box, Tiong Bahru. I am waiting for Amber to come back from her now-almost 1.5 hour long interview with Montessori Learning Centre and getting a little anxious. She is settling in very well and looking forward to beginning her new career as a tutor. The fact that she has already found lucrative work with relative ease has made me somewhat bothered about having not yet found something comparable.

Yesterday, dad invited my cousin and Elin over for 'scrabble night.' It was thoroughly enjoyable and although dad quietly escaped to go to bed later in the night, the 4 of us remained for subsequent games of Boogle. I am looking forward to more!

3 comments:

  1. Like everything in life, the drive to blog ebbs and flows. But you have a real way with words and images, so don't stop! Often it is in the most ordinary of circumstances that we make the most extraordinary discoveries about ourselves.

    Besides, I like reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an insightful and uplifting remark from you, Helen. Of course I'll keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Amber! I know what you mean about the job front... normally B is the one who finds jobs with relative ease and I'm stuck for 6 months + looking for something in my field. Just think of it as a rest before the fast pace of life to come! :)

    ReplyDelete