Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love.



We had been anticipating this movie for a couple of weeks now and for me particularly so since it was the book that offered inspiration in the creation of our recent RTW trip itinerary. In brief, Elizabeth Gilbert finds herself living an uninspired life as a married woman in her 30's. She divorces and travels to the world to 'find herself,' or 'seek God.' Italy (eat), India (pray), Bali (love). It was interesting how similar the images created in my mind from reading the book was to the scenes constructed in this movie, and I was delighted at the revealing of a more accurate portrayal of characters like Ketut (Elizabeth's medicine man in Bali). Funnily enough, I also discover that Ketut Liyer lives in Ubud - the locale where just last week we celebrated my auntie and uncle's 50th Golden anniversary!

The most meaningful part of the movie is at the end, with Liz's soliloquy, that reminds me why I loved it so much: 
“I’ve come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call ‘The Physics of The Quest’ – a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws gravity or momentum. And the rule of Quest Physics maybe goes like this: If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared – most of all – to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself.. ….then truth will not be withheld from you. Or so I’ve come to believe.”

After the movie was over, the impatience of the lady sitting next to me to get up and leave the cinema made me wonder how she felt about the deeply esoteric movie, and conferred to Amber that I imagined 90% of the audience would not have been able to fully appreciate the profundity of its message.

1 comment: