Monday, February 8, 2010

Monteverde

What a different place Monteverde is compared to all the other beach towns we've been in Costa Rica! From Jaco we caught a bus to Puntarenas (which we had previously caught a ferry to Mal Pais), and then another one to Monteverde (3hrs). While waiting for our bus in Jaco, Amber asked a cab driver how much it would cost to drive us. US$180. Ridiculous, until I experienced our drive up the perilously narrow unpaved roads up to the Mountains.


It was uncomfortable lugging our heavy packs and surfboards around with us, but the journey was hassle free. We also got charged 1000 colonnes extra for each surfboard, for each bus trip. Altogther, for both buses, we paid coughed up about NZ$25. It would have been half that if we didn't have surfboards. The buses were old and the seat lining was made out of suede. It was a sweaty trip and I don't think the chairs have never been cleaned. I slept most of the journey to escape this horror of a bus ride.

We got to Monteverde just before sunset last saturday evening. It was much cooler than in the lower regions. One of the locals advertising lodging greeted us as we got off the bu
s and was very kind when he lent us his phone to call our hosts (The principle of the school Amber got hired to work in is letting us stay in her out-house for the next 2 weeks). Apparently his daughter is in the class Amber is substituting for. They have a jovial conversation in spanish with each other and I wish I knew what they were talking about.

15 minutes later, Jason picks us up in his safari type jeep. It reminds me of the one I saw in a very old movie 'The Gods are Laughing." He drives us back to their place (His wife, Cindy, is the principle). At the house we are greeted by Cindy with a large pineapple in her hands, and a very comfortable out-house (with a loft) with fridge, stove, bathroom. I sigh a breathe of relief at the sight of this oasis. Later that evening Cindy comes over and invite us over for drinks. They're a very friendly and hospitable American couple and we stay for about 2 hours (what seemed like forever to me, but Amber thoroughly enjoyed it). Their kids, Jack and Hayley, come back from a square dancing event with a very lively friend, and she sings 3-4 songs for us at Jason's request and Amber's delight. Her voice blew me away!

Anyway, it's monday now and Amber's first day at school. I drew up a schedule for myself for the next 2 weeks and it looks something like this:

0700-0800 Vipassana
0800-0900 Run/Hike/Explore
0900-1000 Breakfast
1000-1200 Spanish
1200-1pm Lunch
1pm-4pm Wifi @ cafe
4pm-7pm Amber, read, etcetera.

No tv here, although I have found some dvds that Beverly (the teacher who went back to US to recover from her illness) had left behind that I could play on the Mac. So it's back to basics, which I had intended and was seeking in anticipation of this round-the-world trip. This transition is not feeling easy though, as I found out today. My brain habitual pattern is to look for stimulation to keep it occupied. Living here for the next 2 weeks could certainly feel like vipassana in practice. Evidently, the quakers who had first founded this place back in 1951? had come here to get away from "everything". Perhaps it's no coincidence that I've ended here seeking the same thing.

Monteverde is surrounded by thick, large, tropical rain-forests. I haven't dared venture onto any of the trails yet. There is a 10km annual run held by the school this weekend that Amber is keen on doing. Me, not so much. There is nothing I'd like better than having a thorough session in a well equiped gym right now, but looks like it's going to be all cardio for the next 2 weeks. Maybe I will join Amber in that 10km.


No comments:

Post a Comment