Sunday, December 18, 2011

Final days in Goa.

This morning Bayshan came in early to prepare me a big breakfast. Scrambled eggs on toast, a small variety of local bread, coffee, juice, a bowl of freshly cut papaya and a local delicacy specially requested from Atul, the landlord. A couple of days back we went out for a leisurely bicycle ride around Siolim and ended our trek at a local coffee shop by the river where we had this particular dessert made out of ghee and milk. Fantastic!

I've got 5 days and 4 nights left in Goa and I'm staying in a quaint hut by the beach not 2 minutes from Raso Vai. Very much simpler alternative in accommodation but now i will have the beach to run in the morning. My original plan of cardio training for the Urbanatholon in February is thwarted by a lack of access to any running tracks whatsoever. The roads are too narrow, noisy and chaotic. I had done a couple of weights sessions at the local gym with Ritesh and Pascal when I first arrived, but It didn't take me long to grow tired of tackling the language barrier with guys who were not accustomed to more complex movements like the deadlift and clean and jerk. I did not want to do another workout consisting of bench presses and bicep curls (i had not once seen anybody in that gym do a lower body exercise). Was certainly a worthwhile experience however, and the familiar observation of testosterone-fuelled swagger and excessive mirror gazing left me feeling right at home.

17 days of repetitive massage sequences is taking its toll. There are so many to remember, and it is not easy to stay present during 1.5 to 2 hour massage. There are 8 in this class and practicing with a different body everyday is proving to be invaluable but challenging. I've booked myself with a session with Urja herself which I think will end my 'formal education' quite nicely. I have already grown to love this practice even though right now I could spew if I had to give another massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment