Monday, March 22, 2010

Awestruck.

They weren't kidding when they said Costa Rica was rich in biodiversity. Since we've been here, we've seen monkeys, hummingbirds, scorpions, exotic spiders, giant iguanas, pelicans, stingray, horses and crabs. Many of which we find at our doorstep!

Scorpions at Nancy's house, green iguana in Santa Teresa.
Land crab, hummingbird. *See Ambers blog entitled 'Nature Watch' for more pictures and story.

We experienced thunder and rain last night for the first time in Santa Teresa. There was a blackout which lasted over an hour and made me contemplate how much I take electricity for granted. It was uncomfortable without any light and air conditioning and I had to go outside to lay in the hammock. Security guard heard noises in the dark (me coming out of the casita) and walked up to check. "Hola! It's just me. Calor (hot)." I blurted out. He politely uttered back spanish words I could not understand. He couldn't be any older than 25. I wondered what life would be like for me if I was born a tico.

I felt dispirited for most of this morning and afternoon. I struggled through 40 minutes of meditation this morning and felt zero enthusiasm to jump in the ocean with el torpe. Negative thoughts clouded my mind and I got discouraged that I still felt 'down' when I've been putting in the effort to meditate regularly. Questions like "Whats the point?" and "You're not doing it right." bombarded my mind and feelings of helplessness overwhelmed me. Then I was reminded why my practice was important to me. Matthieu Ricard, in Quantum and the Lotus said: "..an understanding of their (thoughts) emptiness releases us from their hold. Disruptive thoughts gradually lose their power to whip up storms inside us and to make us negative as regards others. When thoughts appear, we watch them come and go, like an old man quietly watching children at play." Also,"The essential aim of contemplative science is to become a better person. The way of life that this implies can seem off putting. Finding the inner energy to get rid of all our faults is no easy job. The idea of attacking our own egos is repulsive. We then slump back into an inertia that is one of the main obstacles to the spiritual life." I felt like I was 'gotten', as Landmark leaders/people used to say, and immediately felt rejuvenated.

Later that afternoon, Amber and I went down to the beach with our surfboards and our books and I got a surf in. When we had enough, Amber decided to work on her blog back at the casita and I decided to do my Santa Teresa-Mal Pais beach run. 35 minutes 36 seconds. I whipped up dinner when I got back (a casado-inspired meal) and boy did it taste good!

I love how I (Amber too) have this time to think about our lives, and what is important to us. I love how my days here are filled with wonder, meditation, self-reflection, reading, exercise, and learning how to relate to each other (Amber). Looking out into the sunset over the Pacific and being awestruck by the beauty of this world.




Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

All of us under its spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors.
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me

No comments:

Post a Comment