Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Adios sand, surf, sea.

It's our last day in the realm of the gods - Playa Santa Teresa. I call it that because this is arguably the most chilled out abode I have ever lived in. A haven for men reeking of machismo and scantily clad women, constantly in search of the best wave or surf spot. You could call it paradise, and once upon a time I did, but I've adapted, and am looking forward to moving on.

We successfully sold both our surfboards today. Amber got US$300 for her Placebo, and I got US$150. Hooray! They were definitely worth more but we are very pleased to have someone take them off us. We have no more surf destinations ahead of us, and taxes to get the boards on the plane are exorbitant (est. US$100 per board). If we didn't find any buyers, I probably would have given mine to someone I considered deserving. Goodbye Placebo and el torpo! You've served us well.

We bought two more books at the bookstore. Amber purchased 'Ismael - An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit', while I got 'Your Aura and Your Chakras - The Owner's Manual. We unburdened ourselves with four books, 1.) The Tibetan Book of the Living and the Dying, 2.) Spanish in 3 months, 3.) Mundo Unido, 4.) Costa Rica Lonely Planet, for US$6. Goodbye deadweight. I prefer traveling light.

On the way home, we cut in from the beach onto the main road to pick up an ice cold bottle of coke (our first fizzy drink in - forever!) just cos we were melting under the scorching sun. 100 meters from our casita, an oncoming car slowed as he approached and Pollo, being his usual sprightly self, failed to get out of the way. The car hit him squarely on the side and he give out a giant yelp, and hurriedly limped off. The driver slowed down and wound down the window, his expression visibly sympathetic. I reacted  with a disgruntled "Too Fast!" Amber later felt that I lost it, and shouldn't have acted that way as it was an accident. My position was - he's driving on the road and he hit a dog. He should have slowed down. I hope Pollo doesn't have internal damage and learns to look out for oncoming cars from now on.

We catch the 6am bus/ferry/bus tomorrow morning. ETA San Jose at 2pm. We've got a double bedroom waiting for us for 1 night in the city before catching our 4pm flight to New York City on saturday. I'd like to explore a little bit of the city before leaving Costa Rica, some of the museums sound interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment