Thursday, April 15, 2010

Canine Amigos.

We did a big trip into town today. Big trip because it's a 45 minute-ish walk with two surfboards and a backpack full of day trip stuff. We had 0 dollars left and planned to do this final withdrawal in Costa Rica. Ugo and Cody (the landlords), and Andreas and Frederica (their Italian friends and neighbours) left early this morning for another surf spot 6 hours away and won't be back until monday. So we've pretty much got the property to ourselves, save for the security guard at night. Also, their dogs, Maya and Pollo are staying behind. They have gotten very friendly with us and hang out with us all of the time! Maya (Ugo's dog) just about sleeps on our patio every night, and Pollo (neighbour' dog) sleeps under the casita (the casita is on concrete stilts). They are a lovely pair. Maya is chilled out and very docile. Once in a while she will spot an iguana, suddenly perk and sprint-chase it up a tree! Otherwise she's very downtempo and relaxed. Pollo is younger and make. He is Very active, and loves to play. Both of them are close and are very comfortable with each other. I love how every time Amber and I are preparing to leave the casita, they will react by jumping to their feet and wait for us at the bottom of the casita steps. They ALways follow us to the beach, or even our big trips into town. Once we were coming back from a surf with the dogs, their owners passed by us and said "looks like they're your dogs now!"

These pictures I took today on the way to town. Maya stuck by us all 7 hours of the trip. Pollo arrived into town with us, but disappeared when we were having lunch, probably on another one of his adventures. I LOVE them.

Our canine friends

Besides completing our final cash withdrawal, we went into surf shops to try to sell our boards. Owners were not around at the couple we saw, so I left my board at the 'Shit-hole' (surf shop) and will return tomorrow, hopefully to a willing buyer and at a good price.

We had the Best lunch today. I got a Fillet of the day with dill cream sauce, Amber got tuna fish cakes on seaweed, and we shared a ceviche. It was to die for! I shared with Amber that eating well was one of THE pleasures in life, along with reading, contemplating and surfing/jumping into the ocean.

I bought another book too. It's the sequel to Way of the Peaceful Warrior, entitled Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior. I finished The Tibetan Book of the Living and the Dying a few days ago, and been reading Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich on e-book format, which I will elaborate on in another blog entry later. I noticed 2012 (the book I sold them a few weeks back) on the shelves for US$8. They bought it for US$4. I'm glad I could contribute to a thoroughly useful bookstore in Mal Pais.

No comments:

Post a Comment